Can TWO DSP-30's be controlled by 1 pc, simultaneously?

Post your Signal Manager and DCM Manager questions here.

Moderators: Cameron Shoffner, Christian Cook, Kirk Fyvie, Martin Barbour, Fred Thomke, Gary Evans_QSC, Chris Brouelette

• My last comment here < viewtopic.php?f=10&p=13784&sid=910ed7ebfc381cd6fec60cb3779e33e2#p13784 >

has brought up new, related, possibly dumb, questions, that perhaps also justify a new thread:

I have skimmed back through the manual, and the help in Signal Manager, and I don't see anything about runnning two DSP-30's off of one computer. If one has two serial ports to work with (such as would be provided by an Express Card adaptor with 2 serial ports), can one control 2 DSP-30's at the same time*, from one pc? Will Signal Manager support that, and are there likely to be "issues" involved with identifying which DSP-30 is being controlled at any given time, or with controlling both simultaneously?

*The idea here is to minimize serial cable swapping. I don't have to be literally be changing settings on two DSP-30's at the same moment, though that too could be useful. For an example of hopefully not having to cable swap: If I am experimenting with a pair of 2-way speakers in a stereo setup, and using a DSP-30 on the right channel for the crossover and eq., and doing the same on the left channel with a 2nd DSP-30, it would be nice to be able to, say, change the tweeter eq. on both sides, or perhaps a crossover setting, to an entirely new setting (ie., not already loaded as a preset) without having to swap the serial cable from the right side DSP-30 to the left. Is this possible? Practical? (I'm not a computer "whiz".) :oops:
    PaulR

• Hello Paul,

In short, the answer is yes. Two different COM ports (or more) can be used with Signal Manager. Now, you would not be able to VIEW both DSP units at the same time (with either one instance of Signal Manager, or even two different Signal Manager windows). You would connect to unit 1 (say with COM1), tweak as desired. Then use the Options/Tools menu to change to the other COM port, and tweak unit 2 as desired. The software was never intended to be used with multiple units simultaneously, nor was it really intended to be connected all the time to live units. The DSP units were intended to be tweaked, one at a time, and save Presets as needed. Then, you would disconnect the serial cable(s) and only use the front panel buttons to recall Presets.

For multiple, real-time control of parameters, with multiple simultaneous live connections via software, we really intended folks to use our QSControl.Net (Basis/RAVE/DSP) products with an Ethernet connection. These might be overkill for your application, but they can't be beat for allowing real-time adjustments of parameters across multiple units. Specifically, look at the DSP-322ua, which would be like having FOUR DSP-30 units.

Regards,
    Fred Thomke
    NO PRIVATE MESSAGES, PLEASE (use email address)
    Application Engineering Team
    Systems Support - Senior
    QSC Audio Products, LLC
    +1-800-QSC-AUDIO Tech Support
    +1-800-854-4079 Sales
    fred.thomke@qsc.com

Fred Thomke
    QSC Audio Products

• Hi, Fred,

Thanks for the info. I also subsequently spotted the portion of the Signal Manager help which describes the use of the CM16a, which might be another "network" type option? Granted, I'd likely have to figure out some problems with my network here, to take full advantage of use of the CM16a + dual DSP-30's, or the DSP-322ua, but, the possibilities sure are intriguing.

Thanks again,
    Paul
    PaulR

• Hello Paul,

Sorry, the CM16a is pretty much "put out to pasture" so to speak. I would not recommend considering it for any new projects. The only reason we have any left at all is for existing systems which use CM16a, and they need a replacement. These, too, will be fading away soon.

Seriously, to make use of multiple units (DSP-3, -4, or -30) units over serial is really a difficult and cumbersome task. The correct and proper tool is the DSP-322ua. You will get FULL control over all the channels at once, and via an Ethernet network. You can even control over WiFi if you have a WiFi router!

Regards,
    Fred Thomke
    NO PRIVATE MESSAGES, PLEASE (use email address)
    Application Engineering Team
    Systems Support - Senior
    QSC Audio Products, LLC
    +1-800-QSC-AUDIO Tech Support
    +1-800-854-4079 Sales
    fred.thomke@qsc.com

Fred Thomke
    QSC Audio Products

Return to Software - Signal Manager and DCM Manager Support

Information