Multiple UCI's/Tiered Access

Discussions of Q-SYS hardware and software.

Moderators: Cameron Shoffner, Christian Cook, Kirk Fyvie, Martin Barbour, Fred Thomke, Gary Evans_QSC, Chris Brouelette

Fri May 06, 2016 10:51 pm

• I need to do a tiered access system for a q-sys system with regards to using/accessing touchscreen functionality.

Basically I have 4 classes of users
    * guests in the venue - I want to let them raise and lower lighting states, basic control of system levels, mute projector and raise screens as well as call for assistance
    * banquet staff - as above, acknowledge calls, HVAC controls and open and close blinds, join rooms
    * AV Staff - control of video routers, turn on projectors, select sources, some more advanced audio controls etc
    * System technicians - Setup and configure IP addresses of equipment referenced in the control system and a few other things like that

I figured that the solution would probably be setting the UCI mode to dynamic then assigning UCIs to specific users within Q-sys configurator - however I don't seem to be getting anywhere with that solution - I get in a log-in loop where I enter a pin and am brought back to the pin page - am I barking up the wrong tree?

Also - as I want to have a guest account is there a way to programatically change the UCI that is loaded on a panel without having to log out - so it will load a default UCI and then if someone presses a button I can trigger a UCI change and it will prompt for a pin if their access level is not correct.

As an aside - is there a library of components or scripts for common devices - not necessarily Q-Sys written, but perhaps user contributed?
    mac.calder
    Rookie

Tue May 10, 2016 10:39 am

• As far as tiered access goes, your solutions sounds correct to me. I've done the same thing in the past and it has worked fine (only in the Q-Sys Administrator, not the Configurator... maybe this is what you meant?). I created an interface for each user type, then a user for each user type. Under "User Control Interfaces" in the Administrator, double click on your interface then set "Require User Logon" to "Yes" and check the users you want to have access to that UCI.

With regards to the guest account, I know of no way to have a UCI load automatically unless your touchscreen component is set to static UCI assignment. There doesn't appear to be any support for this yet. It would be a nice feature, and I've had many clients request it. There is no way to do it programmatically either, as far as I can tell.

I don't think there is a library of common components. But I've never asked. Surely someone from QSC knows. I have created several components myself and saved them in my User Component Library for quick recall in future installs. However, we charge customers a flat fee for these components, and the higher ups at my company would probably have issues with sharing code for free. That said, some sort of system for user contributed components would be really nice, but the way Q-Sys designer works currently they would have to be made available open source. I'm perfectly OK with this, but unfortunately I don't own all of the code I've written.
    Best,

David Amos
    hss audio/visual
    damos
    Rookie

Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:55 pm

• I've run into the same issue.

I have an application that requires a few different UCI's allowing varying levels of control for different users from the single TSC-7 touch-screen. I have created the different UCI's and have named them (for the sake of argument) FOH Tech, General User, and Guest user (ordered from most control to least). In the Administrator, I have created the three users (each with their own PIN) and have allowed them access to their respective UCI's. Under the inventory pane for the TSC-7, I have the UCI assignment set as "dynamic."

However, when you drag the TSC-7 "Status/Control" component into the design, there is a combo box that requires you to select a specific UCI. Which ever of the three UCI's is selected here is the only one accessible from the TSC-7. If I enter the PIN for the user assigned to the UCI that is selected in that box, it takes me to the proper UCI. If I enter in a PIN for one of the other users, it bounces me right back to the "enter PIN" page. So, based on this, I would need a separate TSC-7 for each user, which would require PIN entry to gain access to which ever UCI is assigned to that particular screen. Am I missing something? Or is there no way to walk up to a screen, enter the PIN for the desired UCI, and go to work?
    Adam Kane

Fri Feb 10, 2017 3:32 pm

• Hi Adam and David,

I may have found a solution but I am not able to test it at the moment. This is from the Australian distributor and I think that it may an acceptable work around for what you want to do.

It uses the UCI Viewer block and adds some scripts and logic interconnect to give you the ability to manage identities and select the UCI and page in the viewer. No, if you are using the iOS or Windows UCI viewer app, it's pretty easy to bypass the authentication so it's not a fool proof solution but it might get you headed in the right direction. Go to one of the links below and download the UCI Authenticator module. (Adam, if you were on this page earlier this week after our conference call, this was not up there yet)

Also, Mac had asked about a library of user scripts. There are two that I know of. One is mine and a lot of it is shared with the other so about 80% of the content is common between the two. It's all free to share and modify as long as you don't redistribute modified versions. Some of the scripts are not 100% complete and they are not thoroughly tested with new q-sys designer releases, so you may find some fixer-uppers but they're usually a good starting point.

Techrep Q-SYS Control Forum - User: QSC Pass: qsys1
    https://server.techrep.biz/wiki/projects/qsys/Techrep_QSYS_Control_Forum.html

TAG Share - you will need to sign up for an account to download
    https://share.tag.com.au/
    C_BEDNAR

Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:04 am

• Thanks for the reply Chris. I'll take a look at it.

If anyone from QSC is reading this, I'm a little stumped as to why this has to be so complicated. Seems like it shouldn't be so difficult to add an option (either per UCI or UCI page) to password protect. Not necessarily per user, but just to restrict access to certain pages on a given UCI (ala QSControl Nac100). Maybe in a future update? We've had a few requests for this now and it would be great to not have to go to such lengths just to restrict access to a group of controls.
    Adam Kane

Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:56 am

• This is a known issue that I ran into before as well.
    If the touch panel times out while a higher privilege user is logged on, it will only let that user log back in, because it sits with an UCI that other users are not priviledged to see, so that's why you get in a login loop as a less privileged user.

I just tried something.
    Make a logic circuit that triggers a generic landing UCI that everyone is allowed to see on "log off" pin of the TSC going high. On that page have buttons that load each UCI through a control router and text objects. I don't have a TSC here to check if this works in real hardware, but it should. You might have to log in twice, once to the landing page and second time to the actual page you want to operate.
    Attachments
    TSC UCI logic.PNG
    TSC UCI logic.PNG (17.66 KiB) Viewed 545 times
    J.Luszczek

Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:03 am

• J.Luszczek

That's the closest I've been able to come to getting the result I want. The only problem is that if a user accidentally selects the wrong UCI (one that they don't have the PIN for), once they are in the PIN entry screen, the only way out of that screen is to enter the PIN for the UCI they selected. This could render the system inoperable if no one happens to be around that has that PIN. Letting the screen time out only brings you back to the same entry screen, not the landing UCI.

Any ideas?
    Adam Kane

Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:59 pm

• To make it really reliable, QSys engineers should give us a way to associate a default UCI with a user, per control device.
    So, for example a control pin that outputs the user name (or better yet, user number) that just punched their PIN number would let us load the correct UCI with little bit of scripting or logic processing.
    Even the actual PIN number as an integer object would be good. You could pass it through a Value Equal logic control and match PINs to UCI's that way.
    J.Luszczek

Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:16 pm

• That would be nice. I would even like to see combo-box/selection box available for each page of a UCI that would allow you to PIN or password protect individual pages of a single UCI. That way it wouldn't be necessary to build an entirely separate UCI with only a few functions/controls that you want to have restricted access.

In this scenario, you could have a single UCI with, say 6 pages, where the first five are available for use by 90% of users, and the last one would only be available the select few that need it.

In the screenshot solution you posted, it would work perfectly if the cancel button on the PIN entry page would take you back to the previous (landing) page in the event you inadvertently selected the wrong UCI. But it appears to do nothing at all.
    Adam Kane

Return to Q-SYS Support

Information