Using an external router for WiFi

Learn and share TouchMix tips and tricks.

Moderators: Brad Zell, Bob Lee, Gary Evans_QSC, Chris Brouelette, JasonFernandez

Sat Jan 31, 2015 1:26 pm

• So I had an extra router that I wasn't using and decided to give it a try. one of these:

http://www.belkin.com/us/p/P-F9K1102/

I started by resetting the router to factory defaults just in case there was some strange configuration in the router already.

using the WiFi dongle that comes with the TouchMix, I was able to connect to the router using the factory settings of the router (SSID and password). The router is dual band so the 2.4 from the dongle to the router was no problem and then I connected to the 5Ghz side with my iPad and iPhone and everything is working great!
    Steph
    The high rail

• btw - the only cable connected to the router is the power cable. No other cable connections are needed. WiFi is working great. And even though the website states 4S is the oldest iPhone the app will work on, I have it working on an old iPhone 4 that I keep around for music playback and it works great!
    Steph
    The high rail

• Excellent. I've done several shows that way with an Airport Express.
    nottooloud
    The high rail

Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:41 am

• I'm trying it with an old apple timecapsule router. The mixer isn't recognizing the network, and or I'm just stupid. Could anyone post detail's on connecting/what to do on the TM network settings?

Thanks,

Todd
    hix31

• hix31 wrote:I'm trying it with an old apple timecapsule router. The mixer isn't recognizing the network, and or I'm just stupid. Could anyone post detail's on connecting/what to do on the TM network settings?

Are you using the supplied wifi dongle, or an ethernet adapter?
    nottooloud
    The high rail

• I just started using this wireless connection technique to an external router. So far the results have been great. Thanks for the tip.
    LoneLizard
    The high rail

• What is the range distance can you achieve with this router method? I just ordered the Apple airport express. Thank you!
    JAY55
    Rookie

Tue May 12, 2015 11:06 pm

• JAY55 wrote:What is the range distance can you achieve with this router method? I just ordered the Apple airport express. Thank you!

Actual distance? No idea! All I can say for sure is that I have NEVER had a dropped signal in any of the clubs I play and none of the people who have connected to my TM16 have had a drop out either. For me, not one single issue with this setup...
    Steph
    The high rail

• Have you guys compared this method to using a USB-ethernet adapter?
    It feels like the wired connection ought to be more reliable, but I haven't tried it myself.

Just got myself an AirPort Express, which will run into a stereo input on my TM16 (which is arriving tomorrow - can't wait). Instant music streaming from iPad to PA system!

Chris
    chris661
    The high rail

• chris661 wrote:Have you guys compared this method to using a USB-ethernet adapter?
    It feels like the wired connection ought to be more reliable, but I haven't tried it myself.

You're replacing two radios with a piece of wire. There's no question. It's more reliable.
    nottooloud
    The high rail

Tue Mar 29, 2016 12:35 pm

• I've been doing whats described above and it always seems to drop the connection and then comes back. Its really annoying. Also, members of my band also have the issue with using the qmix for their in ears or they just can't connect. I even bought a better router dual band. Does the same thing. Have been trying to do the network cable but can't find a dongle with the correct chip set so I'm having to order one. Hopefully it will be compatible. Its been nothing but trouble.

Not sure why all this is so difficult to do. Like we don't have enough things to worry about.
    gsimonelli
    Rookie

Tue Mar 29, 2016 12:41 pm

• gsimonelli wrote:I've been doing whats described above and it always seems to drop the connection and then comes back.

How are you checking for what other wifi might be competing? You need to make sure the channel is clear.
    nottooloud
    The high rail

Return to TouchMix Tips and Tricks

Information