My suggestion for a TM16 or TM8 "stand"

Learn and share TouchMix tips and tricks.

Moderators: Brad Zell, Bob Lee, Gary Evans_QSC, Chris Brouelette, JasonFernandez

• OK, first and foremost I'm a QSC employee, obviously. But I'm also a gigging guitarist, mostly as a solo acoustic guitar/vocalist/harmonica player. I also perform with my 4-piece band as well.

I rarely have the luxury of a true FOH engineer -- I do it all from on stage myself. And I don't often have a table or a stool or a bench nearby on which to set up my TM16 and still keep it within arm's reach during the gig. I have a small, simple K8 rig, so no rack of other gear in which to mount or rest my TM16. I tried a chair behind me but that just looked funky. I needed a stand that worked well but also LOOKED like it was supposed to be up there on stage with me, not an afterthought.

I had an old snare drum stand, the type with three "arms" which could be tightened. (I'm not a drummer, so bear with me if I don't know the proper terms.) Anyway, with a slight bending of two of the arms I was able to make it work as a decent stand for my TM16. It didn't wobble, walk, or try to tip over, certainly no worse than putting it on a stool or tabletop. With the TM16 clamped in place, I can actually LIFT the TM16 and the stand stays firmly attached. The legs of the stand are wide enough to keep it stable. And it's at just the right height for me to reach over and tweak something should I have to do so. Here are the photos:

The finished stand:

Side view:

Bottom view, showing how the arms "grab" the TM16:

Looking down onto the top of the stand's arms without the TM16:
    Notice how I had to bend the "upper" two arms, from their original 120-degree angle to more of a 180-degree, or essentially "facing each other". This works out to a bend of 30-degrees per arm, but I didn't measure it, I "eyeballed" it! This allows these two arms to grab the sides of the mixer, with the lower arm supporting the bottom front edge of the mixer.

This is NOT an official QSC-qualified, tested, or otherwise approved mounting solution! This is my own find-something-that-works solution. YMMV. It might not work for you. You might hate it and think it's the worst thing ever, and no way would you ever use one. But heck, I'll bet used drum stands can be had for around $20-30, even less if you have an old one laying around gathering dust like I did. And it works for me!
    Fred Thomke
    NO PRIVATE MESSAGES, PLEASE (use email address)
    Application Engineering Team
    Systems Support - Senior
    QSC Audio Products, LLC
    +1-800-QSC-AUDIO Tech Support
    +1-800-854-4079 Sales
    fred.thomke@qsc.com

Fred Thomke
    QSC Audio Products

• Looks like a well "engineered" solution. I like the fact that it holds the TM rather than just providing a surface for it to sit on. I'm using a laptop stand from Quicklok which is perfect, except for grabbing the TM. It's more like a portable table and probably not as secure.
    LoneLizard
    The high rail

• I think that's a great idea. I have several spare snare stands kicking around. Definitely going to try this.
    bobpick68
    Possibly an old pro

• I don't know, Fred Thomke. That looks like a freaking brilliant solution to me.
    Orcatraz
    Possibly an old pro

• I'm going to try this. I was hoping that my Gibraltar mixer stand would work, but it doesn't hold the TM-16 securely. How did you bend the snare drum arms - vice, pliers, etc?
    dougb256
    Compression driver

• Hi,

I just used a pair of pipe wrenches, only because I didn't have a vice. My preferred method would have been to place each of the intended "side arms" in a vice, then SLOWLY bend the arms to achieve my left/right angles. Remember, I'm bending each 30 degrees.

If your Gibraltar stand looks like this:
    http://www.gibraltarhardware.com/?fa=de ... 630&cid=30

...then maybe you can modify the four "stoppers" so they are longer, or have slightly bent top pieces or even additional top pieces to reach over the top corners of the mixer, thereby grabbing and holding the mixer. I'll bet some long bolts with rubber tubing could be fashioned to work as four new stoppers or grabbers.
    Fred Thomke
    Systems Support - Senior
    QSC Audio Products, LLC
    +1-800-854-4079 Sales
    fred.thomke@qsc.com

Fred Thomke
    QSC Audio Products

• Yes, that is the Gibraltar stand. It does not open wide enough, so the two back arms cover up two of the jacks on the back of the TM-16. You can put it on sideways, but it still doesn't grip the TM-16 like a snare drum stand would. Also, I can now use the Gibraltar stand for my Macbook. Thanks for the reply!
    dougb256
    Compression driver

• Just wanted to report that my FredStand works perfectly. I've got contractors out here on the farm working on my wife's potting shed, so I asked them for their ideas. 5 minutes later my TM-16 was mounted firmly and ready to go :D
    dougb256
    Compression driver

• Just for the heck of it, I hooked up my 16-channel snake to the TM-16. I had all 20 channels with cables plugged into the channels and it didn't even wobble. This is actually far sturdier than using the Gibraltar stand, because the FredStand locks onto the TM-16. Now I need to see about a clamp-on tray for holding the Transcend 128GB SSD I will use for multitracking. Maybe something like the Stagg-Universal-Clamp-On-Music-Stand, which sells for $21.

But y'know... in honor of the cheapo low-tech stand solution, what I think I might do is just velcro the SSD to the FredStand arm that is closest to the USB port. It's feather-light and has no moving parts, so why not?
    dougb256
    Compression driver

• First, THANKS for starting to call this the "FredStand"!! I'm totally honored and humbled!

For a clamp-on shelf, I suggest the Quik Lok MS-329:

http://www.quiklok.com/catalog/?p=productsMore&iProduct=157&sName=MS-329

Around $20 on Amazon. I'm not sure if the little slot/clamp opening is wide enough for the stem of the drum stand, though. It DOES fit my K&M mic stand's lower part, but on some mic stands the slot is too narrow and would need some filing to fit. I lined the inner shelf surface of mine with a square of gray indoor/outdoor carpeting (like the type used to cover some PA speakers) to dampen the sound -- the "bare" shelf on my mic stand caused too much metallic clanging noise as I put down/picked up harmonicas, capos, beer bottles, etc. The carpet piece really made a difference.

I do like the idea of simply using Velcro strips (or a Velcro strap) to hold the drive to one of the horizontal arms, however.

Again, I have to state "All of the above is my own opinion, not QSC's, and no product endorsement by QSC is intended or implied." Geez, I hate lawyers!
    Fred Thomke
    Systems Support - Senior
    QSC Audio Products, LLC
    +1-800-854-4079 Sales
    fred.thomke@qsc.com

Fred Thomke
    QSC Audio Products

• The Quiklok MS-329 was too big for my FredStand, so I am going to try the Stagg tray. Velcro would have been good enough, but now that we need to use a USB hub in order to use a MIDI footswitch, I am going to use a tray to hold the SSD and the hub.
    dougb256
    Compression driver

• The Stagg tray just got here, and it is WAY too big. It's actually more for sheet music or lyrics. So this time I ordered an On-Stage MST1000. It's an interesting process, luckily I have uses for the two trays that didn't work!
    dougb256
    Compression driver

Return to TouchMix Tips and Tricks

Information