Ensuring proper shutdown

Learn and share TouchMix tips and tricks.

Moderators: Brad Zell, Bob Lee, Gary Evans_QSC, Chris Brouelette, JasonFernandez

Mon May 04, 2015 11:23 am

• The last couple of gigs (small club with non-techie fellow band members) I've had people just go over to the wall and unplug the whole power chain from the mains before anything could be properly and safely powered down (generally the keyboard player being in a hurry to pack up and leave). If you've been recording, that would kinda ruin the whole night. So, a trip to the local office supply store to pick up a small UPS (uninterruptible power supply, not the shipping company) and place it between the TM16 and the mains. Added benefit, it provides clean, steady power that should help extend the TM16's operational life. Since the current draw of the board isn't huge, even a small UPS gives ample time for proper shutdown of the board, and I don't have to yell at the other guys in the band.
    GVDub
    Rookie

Wed May 06, 2015 1:01 pm

• That is a great idea, GVDub! Even a few minutes of battery backup time is all that's needed, so I would imagine just about any low-cost battery-backup UPS would fit the bill. I also like the idea of the UPS doing a bit of "voltage cleanup" to my gear. This is especially useful if you're doing a gig from a generator or from some questionable/unknown AC feed. I do know that some brands of UPS seem to be more reliable than others, from my experience. I would stick with name brands (but they are probably ALL made at one factory overseas somewhere!) YMMV.
    Fred Thomke
    NO PRIVATE MESSAGES, PLEASE (use email address)
    Application Engineering Team
    Systems Support - Senior
    QSC Audio Products, LLC
    +1-800-QSC-AUDIO Tech Support
    +1-800-854-4079 Sales
    fred.thomke@qsc.com

Fred Thomke
    QSC Audio Products

Sat May 09, 2015 6:55 am

• Fred Thomke wrote:I also like the idea of the UPS doing a bit of "voltage cleanup" to my gear. This is especially useful if you're doing a gig from a generator or from some questionable/unknown AC feed.

That's a common misconception. Cheap UPS tend to have terrible output waveforms. On the other hand, a modern switching power supply generally doesn't care. Feed it something between 90 and 240, and it should just deal with it.
    nottooloud
    The high rail

Return to TouchMix Tips and Tricks

Information