my personal TM 16workflow for live mixing and recording

Learn and share TouchMix tips and tricks.

Moderators: Brad Zell, Bob Lee, Gary Evans_QSC, Chris Brouelette, JasonFernandez

• wanted to share the workflow wich serves me well for live mixing and recording with the TM 16 - maybe some ideas are useful for you as well

1. to my person:
    I am a bass player since many years, actually living in Berlin. Working in several bands I´m used to do the sound for all smaller events. Since having the TM 16 I always run a multitrack recording during GiGs but not always mixing down the recorded tracks.
    The smallish events I do the sound for are without monitor headache (usually only the singer gets a wedge) or big FOH solutions (never I have to set up a delay line, etc.)

2. preparation:
    before a performance (latest the day before the GiG) I prepare the TM16 by creating a new scene (I never use a saved scene). Starting from the scratch is a bit more time consuming but avoids having routings wich I am not aware of.
    I use the factory presets for each channel and type of input; factory presets serve me quite well, not to often serious twisting needed during soundcheck
    channels with microfones are set at inputs 1-8 (in order to have them at one screen if quick reaction is needed when feedback is occuring)
    the inputs are named, FX added according to experience and pannings set (if needed)
    mute groups prepared (all mute, mute for breaks, all mics muted)

3. initial gain settings:
    this is an important step in my workflow. As I strictly try to avoid changes in my gain settings during a show I try to get a decent input gain on each channel but leaving enough headroom for later moments of the show (when musicians are getting louder ...)
    I start with the analog gain knobs all at noon and the digital gain at +6db (noon).

4. stage set-up:
    thanks to the VERY useful tip from this forums user: FloO I´ve got an old snare stand for very little money wich gives the TM16 a perfect basis on stage. All cables from and to the TM 16 are stabilized with a velcro tape around the stands leg; perfect solution for me !
    A very cheap bluetooth adaptor (Phillips, aprox 20.-) is connected to input channel 19/20. This gives me the opportunity to stream music from my IPad without having any problems by using the TM 16 WIFI network for remote control at the same time.

5. soundcheck:
    First part of the soundcheck (gains) I run sitting next to the TM16 (mains muted). Only asking for loud signals from each of the musicians. Setting the analog gain knobs accordingly (never past 3 o´clock to avoid noise).
    I leave the stage and continue remote with my IPad (Ipad mini, basic model)
    Second part I try the whole system by streaming music (mains unmuted)
    Third part I finish the remote soundcheck, monitors first, then FOH musician after musician, adjusting digital gain if needed, etc.
    As I am a musician and not a sound engineer I´m not searching for "the perfect" mix/sound; as we all know musicians change their individual sound/volume during a show, therefore I only try to get a decent basic general sound. This way a soundcheck (for a 6 piece band) never needed more than 30 minutes

6. mixing during show:
    I try not to touch the touchmix at all :-) - only feedback would force me to react
    and off course FX muting for annoncements before songs

7. recording the GiG:
    another useful tip from a forums user made me buy a SanDisk Extreme 64GB 3.0 USB stick. Using it always newly formated I had no single data loss or problem till now (maximum was a 12 tracks recording, 2 1/2 hours).
    What I don´t do is pressing "stop" during breaks in order to get shorter files (regions). My recording runs without stopping and is recording any breaks and interuptions too. If the whole performance would last longer than 3 hours I would use a second USB stick.
    Keeping this workflow helps me later with my procedure when mixing down the recording of the GiG (or parts of it).
    I don´t record the stereo tracks as they are not useful for my way of the mixdown

8. Mixing down the recording of the GiG:
    As I´ve made the experience that musicians are VERY keen to have a VERY fast copy of the recorded GiG (... "please may I have a CD with all the show" ... is the usual phone call the day after the GiG) I need to work with a minimum effort for acceptable results (as stated above, I am a musician not a sound engineer)
    the TM 16 helps me alot with this task !

Having the evening recorded in one file for each track I simply fast forward to somewhere in the middle of the recorded show (usually I search for a song that i like to listen to) and start to find a mixdown setting. The most time consuming factor is finding the detailed sound and Comp, Gates, FXs, etc. for each channel. For me this is a lot of try and error, each time ... as you all know, there´s a lot of unwanted noise, etc. on the tracks ... TM 16 gates proofed to be very helpful; till now I´ve always managed to find a somehow acceptable solution

Once I´ve found a general setting which is working for my ears, I record to the internal 2-Trk Rec. Starting at the zero point I record the first song; stop the recording; record the second song, etc. till the end of the recording
    Usually I try not to change settings during these recordings, it is mainly solos which I have to push up in volume.

This way I end up with following wave-files for export:
    Tracks 1--> xx; region 1: dry wave files without any EQ or FX
    track 21: region 1 --> region xx: wave files main/left with all effects, EQ, faders for each single song performed
    track 22: region 1 --> region xx: wave files main/right with all effects, EQ, faders for each single song performed

the single songs (track 21 + 22; region x) are imported to audacity one by one; cut (fade out/in) at beginning and end; only pushed to the required level (I think the audacity function is "normalize") and saved as stereo wave named with the songs name

thats it !!! (for me) musicians get an USB stick with the dry wave files of the tracks + the stereo mixdowns of the single songs ... if they want further tweaking and twisting, erasing mistakes, etc --> it´s up to them :mrgreen:

greetings from Berlin
    Gerhard

PS.: I try to attach a mp3 with a cut out (1 min) part of the opening song of a GiG I´ve played last saturday just as an example
    fast mixdown on the TM 16; quite heavy gate needed on kik drum track and huge FX on sax
    used Audacity only for cutting beginning/end and normalizing

please apologizes for my bass-playing ahead the beat (as always during first song, adrenaline is working :roll: )

https://soundcloud.com/user-740441451/1 ... -mp3cutnet
    basslutz

• Thanks so much for your very detailed setup procedure, I have had my TM 8 for 1 week now and so far our old PA sounds much better, so I am on a steep learning curve to get up to speed. I bought the TM because all the adds stated it was designed for musician use, but using preset the mic's are way too low in the mix even though they show the same as the rest on LED readout. It's just a pain so far. So thanks for you guidance here. Hoping I can get a decent mix eventually. I wish the manuals had more info on getting the mix right. Have trolled through all their videos but they just show the process and no indication on what the settings should be.
    Mike
    gibbo
    Rookie

Return to TouchMix Tips and Tricks

Information