GX5 Speakon Issue

Moderators: Cameron Shoffner, Christian Cook, Kirk Fyvie, Martin Barbour, Gary Evans_QSC, QSC-Dale Sandberg

Wed Dec 23, 2015 10:29 am

• on my GX 5, neither of my speakon outputs work at all.I know that the cables are not bad. Because they work on other amplifiers just fine. What could possibly be the issue?
    jsatstrat

Thu Jan 07, 2016 3:51 pm

• Do the 1/4" outputs in the center of the Speakons work?
    Bob Lee
    Technical Communications Developer
    QSC, LLC
    Fellow, Audio Engineering Society
    "If it sounds good, it is good." —Duke Ellington
    Bob Lee
    QSC Audio Products

Fri Jan 22, 2016 9:28 am

• Hi, Bob.

I didn't see your response until now. Yes, the 1/4 works fine. I'm using nl4 cable ends (only using +1 and -1 for the cable). They work fine going the other way, as in quarter from the amp to speakon at the speaker. speakon to 1/4 or speakon to speakon doesn't work though with speakon starting at the amp end. Is this the same issue as the other guy,who had to replace his panel jacks?

Thanks!
    Jason
    jsatstrat

Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:32 am

• The thing to do would be to actually check to see if the signal is making it to the contacts on the Speakon connectors. It would be very unusual for even one connector to go bad, and extremely unlikely to have it happen on both.
    Bob Lee
    QSC, LLC
    Bob Lee
    QSC Audio Products

Fri Jan 22, 2016 11:38 am

• I think I may have an idea....

Should I have it wired to the 1+ and 1- or should it be 1+ and 2+? I had read that QSC amps may not always use the 1+ and 1- on the nl4 male connector... any thoughts? I know the speaker cable is good. I've tested it backwards with the speakon plugged into the speaker.
    jsatstrat

Fri Jan 22, 2016 12:09 pm

• the connector doesn't actually "lock in" either. Even using a brand new speakon to speakon cable doesn't lock in or work, but it works on another amplifier I have.
    jsatstrat

Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:12 am

• Use 1+ and 1- always. Make sure the loudspeaker end is wired in whatever way the loudspeaker requires (usually 1+ and 1-, too).

If the Speakon connectors won't latch when you plug them into the amp, see if you can find out what's getting in the way.
    Bob Lee
    QSC, LLC
    Bob Lee
    QSC Audio Products

Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:05 am

Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:54 pm

• hi...i own a gx5 which up to now,,has worked real good & sounds nice..mainly used on 10" & 12" tops duty..plug it in today to do some set testing..after an hour,,channel 2,,which was running full range signal,,stopped playing output..signal is still being recieved as the green signal light for the channel still flashes..changed the cables,,still the same..changed the input to channel one & tried channel one speak on..it worked,,but as i touched da speak on at the back of the amp,,noticed it started cutting out..again,,tried different cables,,plug dem in & slightly touched the speak on while it was playing,,again cut out but input signal is there..double checked the set up & cables via another amp after this..everything worked fine so definately an amplifier output problem..amp has never been pushed into clipping over the 2 years i've owned it & the previous owner used it for monitors for a band so light duty...any ideas or help would be much appreciated..thanks..
    chalky
    Rookie

Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:09 pm

• chalky, from your description it seems that one of the outputs is intermittent. Would that be an accurate thing to infer?

If that's the case, it's possible there's a faulty connection at that output. The signal LED indicates that the channel works and is putting out something. Perhaps there's a bad connection in the Speakon connector on your loudspeaker cable? Is it a genuine Neutrik Speakon connector?
    Bob Lee
    QSC, LLC
    Bob Lee
    QSC Audio Products

Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:18 pm

• hi bob..cables are neutriks & as i said before,,everything worked fine via another amp..is definately amp problem & must be output because output light still lights up..thanx..
    chalky
    Rookie

Return to Power Amplifier Support

Information