Dataport connections to XLR

Moderators: Cameron Shoffner, Christian Cook, Kirk Fyvie, Martin Barbour, Fred Thomke, Gary Evans_QSC

Sat Jun 10, 2006 7:13 pm

• I was wondering if it is OK to make a custom cable that connects the signal pins from a dataport signal output pins i.e. from a BASIS 922az to XLR connectors? Will this cause any problems? Do I need to tie any of the other dataport pins to something i.e. ground?

Thanks
    chriso

Mon Jun 12, 2006 9:14 am

• Hello,

QSC offers a solution in the form of an accessory for you. The DDI-11 converts the HD-15 DataPort connector on a Basis into a terminal block connector for hardwiring.

DDI-11
    Brad Sambrano
    Systems Support Engineer
    QSC Audio Products, LLC
    Brad Sambrano
    QSC Audio Products

Mon Oct 12, 2009 7:22 pm

• I looked at this accessory, and it seems to be intended for connecting to the inputs on a dataport equiped amp, but not for connecting to the outputs on a dataport equipped processor.

I cut a dataport cable and wired the two shielded pairs to a connector, but was unable to get any signal out of it. According to the pinout I was using the correct wires.

I realize that QSC prefers to provide accessories rather than attempt to support users hacking away at cables and connectors, but for my own curiosity I'd really like to attempt to make this cable myself.

What am I missing?
    chrisgrimes

Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:30 am

• Hi,

A DDI-11 can be used in either case: signal input into a DataPort equipped amplifier (not sure of a use case in this regard since all of our amplifiers would also have other means to input signals such as XLR/Quarter Inch) or more commonly as a signal output tap for use on one of our DataPort equipped digital processors like Basis/CM16a/DCM.

What DataPort equipped unit were you connected to? Some products like a Basis need to be programmed to output signal through the particular DataPort you are connected to with the cut off HD-15 connector.

What HD-15 connector were you using? A VGA computer cable might not be terminated fully or have wires tied together.

What type of input is at the other end of the cut HD-15 connector: Balanced or Unbalanced?
    Brad Sambrano
    Systems Support Engineer
    QSC Audio Products, LLC
    Brad Sambrano
    QSC Audio Products

Tue Oct 13, 2009 5:22 pm

• I was using a Basis. Not sure of the model but something like 914z, with four analog XLR inputs and 16 dataport outputs.

I'm sure that it's programmed properly to output to the dataport, as I was able to view the signal in the dataport control page as well as the front panel of the Basis unit itself.

I was using a QSC dataport cable that I cut in half. I wired the two twisted, shielded pairs to RCA connectors, with the minus pin shorted to shield. Or at least what I understood to be the minus pin based on the pinout I found in the help file.

My thought is the same as chriso's, that some pin must be wired to ground or some two pins connected so that the basis recognizes that some device is connected to the dataport. When using this cable I've made, even though the panel shows signal on the dataport, the associated status LED does not light as the others do that have amps connected to them.

I've thought that maybe adding a device in venue manager associated with the dataport I'm using might work, but there is no option to add "analog output only" as opposed to just adding an amp.
    chrisgrimes

Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:24 am

• Oh, sorry about all this.

The first part is that you can use a DataPort connection to output signal(s) to a non DataPort connection. I suppose you can use the Standby pin as well for something but the Relay connection would be a better option. The remaining pins of the DataPort you can ignore.

As for the DataPort signal pins – two per output with two outputs per DataPort, if you use a balanced type of connection, signal(s) will flow. Just terminate accordingly true: plus to plus, minus to minus and ground-to-ground. This is Chriso’s use case as he is referring to XLR, by definition: balanced.

If you use an unbalanced type of connection (RCA phono type in this case), you will need to drive the -/minus pin. The +/plus pin is tied to ground or the ouput is quazi-ballanced. So in your case, merely reverse the polarity on one end, which would be the RCA phono side I reckon. The ground or +/plus pin wires to the ground/shield/outside ring of the RCA phono connection and the -/minus wire to the center male pin of the RCA phono connection. Reconcile the polarity reversal in the Basis.
    Brad Sambrano
    Systems Support Engineer
    QSC Audio Products, LLC
    Brad Sambrano
    QSC Audio Products

Thu Oct 15, 2009 3:48 am

• I actually figured out to use the minus pin from another post by chriso. Thanks for the help though. Everything works fine now.

Why is it that only the minus pin is driven? And if it had to be only one pin, why not the positive?
    chrisgrimes

Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:25 am

• The minus output being driven was just a design choice, probably had more to do with the physical trace layouts in the PC board and routing the net points connecting all the circuitry together. There is a lot of trace vias in a six-layer board.
    Brad Sambrano
    Systems Support Engineer
    QSC Audio Products, LLC
    Brad Sambrano
    QSC Audio Products

Sun Jul 10, 2011 2:08 am

• Hello

I came across this thread and I just want to double check: could you please confirm that I can use a QSC sound processor like the DCP100 with non-QSC amplifiers, using the DDI-11 breakdown board?

I was told from a reseller that QSC Cinema sound processors are NOT compatible with non-QSC amplifiers (ie they require a dataport connection) but it seems to me that they are mistalken.

Could you possibly confirm me that I can connect a dataport to an XLR/barrier strip with the breakdown board you linked?

Many thanks
    Tony
    Tony359

Return to DSP Support

Information