DSP-4 Programming and operation

Moderators: Cameron Shoffner, Christian Cook, Kirk Fyvie, Martin Barbour, Fred Thomke, Gary Evans_QSC

Thu May 15, 2008 8:53 am

• Ok, maybe this is two threads. I was working with the DSP-4 last night trying to lessen my learning curve. I noticed that on the fly changes will lock up the DSP and cause communication to be lost and my sound would drop. I would have to recycle the power on the DSP to get it back up and restart the Signal Manager Software and then apply the new settings. Anyone else have this issue?

As well, I called several QSC dealers this morning to see if they were seeing this issue and to see if they would be interested in coming to our site and properly setting the DSP up for us. This DSP was sold to us instead of getting outboard EQs. All of the dealers we contacted said they have no experience or the experience they had was bad. Now I feel sort of stuck with an expensive unit that has not been worth it's investment.

Am I heading back to graphic eqs or is this still a worthwhile cause?

Thanks
    Chris
    avayaconsultant

Thu May 15, 2008 9:39 am

• Hello Chris,

What type of communication are you using to talk with the DSP-4?

DB-9-to-DB-9 serial ports

USB to DB-9 serial ports
    Brad Sambrano
    Systems Support Engineer
    QSC Audio Products, LLC
    Brad Sambrano
    QSC Audio Products

Thu May 15, 2008 10:12 am

• RadioShack USB to 9 pin serial. This cable has worked flawless on other projects that we have imlemented. I can normally use this cable on the most pesky jobs and have always had great success.

Are there particular comm port settings that are recommended? I looked through the docs and couldn't find anything.

Thanks
    Chris
    avayaconsultant

Thu May 15, 2008 11:49 am

• I would try both the 9600 and the 38400 bits per second speeds. Maybe either a faster or slower speed will make the communication a happier event.

As for adapters: Link
    Brad Sambrano
    Systems Support Engineer
    QSC Audio Products, LLC
    Brad Sambrano
    QSC Audio Products

Thu May 15, 2008 1:07 pm

• I will try different speeds. I connect in and can pull the config, etc... I have used this cable for what most people considered very sensitive equipment in the past and had the best luck. Several engineers I spoke to today have suggested that QSC publish a standard on the comm port settings. Such as Flow Control, Bits, Speed, Parity, etc...

Does QSC not have a standard there? If it varies from computer to computer, then the RS232 port is not exactly built to any standard (so to speak) and I can understand why the dealers are having issues.

I would like to ask if anyone who works with these things on a regular basis has found a standard of settings that actually works on a consistent basis?

Thanks
    Chris
    avayaconsultant

Thu May 15, 2008 2:16 pm

• QSC does have a standard port setting that we recommend. The data can be found in the help file and the read me file.

38400 baud, 8 data bits, no parity, 1 stop bit, flow-control NONE.

These settings are qualified for native RS-232 communication. When one uses a DB-9-to-DB-9 cable, the communication is robust and stable. This is how QSC recommends using Signal Manager and the DSP-4.

When a “third partyâ€
    Brad Sambrano
    Systems Support Engineer
    QSC Audio Products, LLC
    Brad Sambrano
    QSC Audio Products

Thu May 15, 2008 2:24 pm

• I will give it a shot at the settings recommended and see what happens. I will drop an update on here tomorrow.

Thanks
    Chris
    avayaconsultant

Return to DSP Support

Information