RAVE 161 replacement

Moderators: Cameron Shoffner, Christian Cook, Kirk Fyvie, Martin Barbour, Fred Thomke, Gary Evans_QSC

Sat Mar 07, 2009 12:31 pm

• I am currently using 3 rave 161 to transmit /receive audio over fiber to several amp rooms on my property, these units are still functional but I have no spares in the case of a failure. we need to replace these with the current equivalent.
    I've looked at the suggested replacement units which all have some sort of DSP, DSP I don't need, currently using media matrix for all processing, I just need transport and would like to do it with as few wiring changes as possible.

Does anyone have any suggestions
    Thanks
    Rick
    rpeter

Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:46 am

• Hi Rick,

For a pure Rave161s(-24) unit replacement, troll through the used gear for sale lists on the web for replacement units. You can send them in here for testing purposes if you don’t fully trust the units bought.

As you indicate, QSC now uses Rave models with DSP, the Rave 522 and 520 models. However, these models have eight local inputs as opposed to sixteen found with the Rave161s(-24) so the hardware count will double. You can merely bypass the DSP and have no latency additions doing so.

As for a current QSC blessed replacement from another manufacturer, look here: Legacy Rave Replacement
    Brad Sambrano
    Systems Support Engineer
    QSC Audio Products, LLC
    Brad Sambrano
    QSC Audio Products

Return to DSP Support

Information