KW122 and KW181 interface to dbx Driverack

K, KW, and KLA Series loudspeakers

Moderators: Cameron Shoffner, Christian Cook, Kirk Fyvie, Martin Barbour, Gary Evans_QSC

• I'm using two sets of KW122 and KW181 speakers in a standard L-R configuration (the KW122s sit on poles above the subs). Output from the mixer goes to a dbx Driverack PA2 for automated EQ setup and feedback control, which then drives the QSCs. My current configuration uses the bi-amp feature of the Driverack so I'm running four separate XLR cables, one to each speaker. This seems to work well, but should I be using QSC's recommended daisy-chain configuration between subs and KW122s instead?
    MicklePickle

• I personally am using a similar configuration. K12s over k-subs with the drive rack pa2 as well. I use the drive rack to do the crossover as well. Just make sure you leave your tops in full range. And your crossover point between 80- 100Hz (100 is recommended as that is QSCs crossover point). Or you will miss out on some frequencies if you crossover higher. Also use a 12db step down per octave.
    DJStevieRay
    Rookie

• Parallel-feeding (such as daisy-chaining) a full-range signal to the subs and the tops would be advisable if you use the KW181's built-in 100 Hz low-pass filter and the KW122's 100 Hz high-pass filter (when set to EXT SUB).

If you want to use an external device to do the subwoofer crossover functions, then it would be counterproductive to put the same signal into all of the loudspeakers. Instead, you would use the external piece's high-pass output for the KW122 and the low-pass output for the KW181. Because the KW181 low-pass filter cannot be bypassed, you would have to configure a crossover point lower than 100 Hz--preferably in the 80 to 85 Hz range so the sub's low-pass filter has less effect.
    Bob Lee
    Technical Communications Developer
    QSC, LLC
    Fellow, Audio Engineering Society
    "If it sounds good, it is good." —Duke Ellington
    Bob Lee
    QSC Audio Products

• Appreciate the additional clarity on the crossover point, Bob. I'm using the Driverack to automatically EQ the system, which locks out its manual crossover control (and doesn't tell me what's been assigned automatically). But as part of initial setup, the Driverack offers me menu selections that include this specific combination: QSC KW122 and KW181, which may mean the box already knows about the 100Hz crossover point. As you suggested, the KW122s and KW181s are driven from their respective high and low outputs from the Driverack, and I've set the KW122s to EXT SUB. During auto-equalization, the box uses sweep test tones and its own external mic to produce a complex EQ curve of minor corrections for a given room. To my ear, the result is very good. Based on your comments, I'm inclined to leave the configuration as I have it. Thanks much for your help - and thanks to QSC for producing such an amazing set of speakers.
    MicklePickle

• You probably shouldn't use the EXT SUB setting if you're using the DriveRack as a crossover, but that's something you should check with dbx.
    Bob Lee
    QSC, LLC
    Bob Lee
    QSC Audio Products

• Hi Bob, first of all i want to say thank you for helping me solve the login issue. I am glad I can join in this forum now. My question is in line with the use of additional external device, particularly the driverack. To be simple and straightforward, do I need or is it necessary to use external device like the driverack px or pa to my existing setup? I have a pair of k12 and a pair of kw181 which I've been using in my gigs for more than two years now. My setups are almost small indoor gig parties.

Everybody knows that the QSC k series have the built in processors and the deep and dsp technology in it. So, why theres a need for external device like the driverack? In fact, I am also planning to purchase the driverack to use with my k12 and kw181. Your professional advice will be highly appreciated.
    Marcel

• Hi, Marcel

The K and KW Series subs can be paired with the K and KW Series full-range loudspeakers, and no additional external processing is necessary. If there is some feature offered in the Driverack (or any other processor) that you want to use, feel free to give it a try. You should consult with the manufacturer for advice on implementing it.
    Bob Lee
    QSC, LLC
    Bob Lee
    QSC Audio Products

• Hi, after reading several threads in the forum, I realize how much of a novice I really am! Anyway, I'm a mobile DJ with limited understanding of crossovers and sound processors. I recently upgraded from using passive Peavey SP5s to K12.2s. I will be adding at least one (possibly two) subs to my rig as soon as I can afford them but I'm curious if I should invest in an external processor. Sounds like an external processor may be a moot point if I were to use a Ksub(s) to pair with my K12.2s but what if I chose to go with different manufacturer? The only real reason I would for that matter would be soley base on price, BTW. I'm currently renting a few different subs for gigs but I'm never really sure how to set them up. I feel like I need to get some knowledge here soon bc the few times I've used the K12s w a rented sub, I've not been completely blown away with the overall sound.

Also and on a side note, what setting would be most ideal when using the K12.2s with and without a sub? I've tried the default, live and dance settings but I'm not convinced which is best for my DJ applications.

Any help/advice would be appreciated
    Jerry Cast

Return to K Family Loudspeaker Discussion

Information