K12 Limit too early

K, KW, and KLA Series loudspeakers

Moderators: Cameron Shoffner, Christian Cook, Kirk Fyvie, Martin Barbour, Gary Evans_QSC

Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:07 am

• I have one K12 that would hit the limit too early. It did this for 2-3 events and one day (at a wedding of course), it hit limit and died. It was one month out of it's warranty period. 4 months later, I now have another K12 following the same path. It has a good clean signal going to it, yet limits way too early...at about maybe 60-70% of it's power. This is what the other did before it died. I'm familiar with setting proper signals and have never had any problems with my other speakers. They both now sit on shelves as I've moved on to a new set of speakers. I would like to know what the issue is so that I can repair them or have them repaired.
    The dead one no longer powers on. No lights. Nothing. I fear the other will eventually do the same, so I cannot trust it. Without sending it out for repairs, is there a known issue and what is the repair procedure?
    DJDaveOtt

Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:15 am

• Sorry for the difficulties you're having. What do you mean by "60-70% of its power"? How are you measuring that? Thanks.
    Bob Lee
    Technical Communications Developer
    QSC, LLC
    Fellow, Audio Engineering Society
    "If it sounds good, it is good." —Duke Ellington
    Bob Lee
    QSC Audio Products

Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:04 am

• Bob Lee wrote:Sorry for the difficulties you're having. What do you mean by "60-70% of its power"? How are you measuring that? Thanks.

Based upon it's known audible sound output. I haven't put a meter to it, but it just isn't reaching the sound level that I know it can produce and has in years past. Compared to other K12's, side by side, it sounds lower and when pushed, limits.
    DJDaveOtt

Thu Mar 03, 2016 12:41 pm

• I would recommend that you have a qualified service tech check it out and see if it actually performs as it should. That will involve measuring.
    Bob Lee
    QSC, LLC
    Bob Lee
    QSC Audio Products

Mon Apr 04, 2016 5:05 am

• I used my k12s and abused it a lot.. the limiter works and thus the volume goes down as well. the only issue I had was the power switch which trips.. nothing more.

Here is a recent event which I used my K12s as monitors(3) and front fills(2). My other k12 was in a motorbike event. My k12s are still from 2010 :D
    Attachments
    q top.jpg
    top view during the event
    q top.jpg (67.05 KiB) Viewed 1256 times
    q1.jpg
    the k12
    q1.jpg (96.52 KiB) Viewed 1256 times
    q.jpg
    front view
    q.jpg (96.51 KiB) Viewed 1256 times
    www.ishowcebu.com
    ishowcebu
    Possibly an old pro

Mon Aug 29, 2016 7:11 am

• Hi, my band has k10's and we mic almost everything, we have 2 subs also.
    We really do not push it. But I am noticing that when I push a note (I am a very loud boomy singer). I always set the limit light on and I freak out... Shoud I not freak out so much!
    I have had these since 2009 and fear blowing them up! They are awesome..
    barflyz
    Rookie

Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:10 am

• The limiter is there to keep from blowing up the loudspeaker.
    Bob Lee
    QSC, LLC
    Bob Lee
    QSC Audio Products

Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:26 am

• So we did a cover gig this past Friday and needed a little bit more volume and started running into the red coming on when I specifically pushed a lead vocal note.
    Had compressor like 3.6 to 1, fast attack, hard knee -22 threshold....
    It seems every time we try to get some more volume we run into this. I feel these should be able to handle it...
    What is the worst that can happen it we keep going into red? Is it really just a limiter kicking in?

any advice?
    thanks!!!!
    barflyz
    Rookie

Tue Oct 25, 2016 11:04 am

• Continually running into the red affects the dynamics of the program, and it's a sign that you're trying to do too much with too little.
    Bob Lee
    QSC, LLC
    Bob Lee
    QSC Audio Products

Mon Dec 05, 2016 1:44 pm

• A customer complains that when they push the speakers a bit too hard they automatically are reduced in volume but remain at the reduced volume and they can't get them to increase past that point. I am assuming they have engaged the limiter. How long does the limiter remain engaged after the offending event?
    DanBrown

Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:23 pm

• If clipping triggers the limiter, then the limiter should let go immediately as soon as the clipping stops. But if the limiter is triggered by high temperatures in the amp module, it'll reduce gain as long as it takes for the module to cool off.

The scenario you describe is rare but could happen when trying to do too much with too few loudspeakers.
    Bob Lee
    QSC, LLC
    Bob Lee
    QSC Audio Products

Return to K Family Loudspeaker Discussion

Information