KW Gain Settings

K, KW, and KLA Series loudspeakers

Moderators: Cameron Shoffner, Christian Cook, Kirk Fyvie, Martin Barbour, Gary Evans_QSC

Thu Jul 14, 2016 3:46 am

• I own 2 KW153's and 4 KW181's and play outdoors with them often. Is there any clipping or adverse effects when you push the Gain near full? I sometimes need more headroom and wonder if there is any point where the gain should not go past? Thats for the help!
    Akstrat

Thu Jul 14, 2016 10:06 am

• The gain setting to use depends on the strength of the input signal and the volume you want. If you have a weak input signal you'll need a higher gain setting to achieve your desired results.
    Headroom is voltage or power that is unused but available; it is not the same as volume. Turning up the gain or the signal level will increase the volume and at the same time decrease the headroom.
    Bob Lee
    Technical Communications Developer
    QSC, LLC
    Fellow, Audio Engineering Society
    "If it sounds good, it is good." —Duke Ellington
    Bob Lee
    QSC Audio Products

Thu Jul 14, 2016 5:01 pm

• Maybe I mis spoke, I'm a guitar player! We want volume! I have a Midas M32R board and can push quite hard from the board. Is there a danger of running the gain on full on the 153's and then use use aux fed subs for the amount of sub I want? Thanks again Bob!
    Akstrat

Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:40 am

• Unless you're driving the loudspeakers from a consumer or semi-pro unit with a weak output, you would not run the loudspeakers on full gain.
    Bob Lee
    Technical Communications Developer
    QSC, LLC
    Fellow, Audio Engineering Society
    "If it sounds good, it is good." —Duke Ellington
    Bob Lee
    QSC Audio Products

Return to K Family Loudspeaker Discussion

Information