KW181 Installation

K, KW, and KLA Series loudspeakers

Moderators: Cameron Shoffner, Christian Cook, Kirk Fyvie, Martin Barbour, Gary Evans_QSC

Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:15 pm

• I am planning to install 2 Ksubs below our stage in a central position paired together. I have had multiple recommendations on how to encase them and looking for guidance. With the internal fans is there a recommendation for clearance around the subs if I am boxing them in? My plan was to create a box made of 3/4 MDF padded with sound isolation material. This box would then be mounted under the stage and onto the floor trusses. Second part of the question is if the front of the Ksub needs to be exposed under the stage or can I completely encase the sub without a significant loss in sound. My understanding is that the low frequencies produced by the sub would not be affected if it was walled off vs having the opening clear facing out under the stage. Just checking for the install planning. Appreciate any help and thoughts. These subs will be paired with KLA's flown over the stage in right and left banks.
    HACARts

Wed Nov 30, 2016 3:30 pm

• Do not fully encase a subwoofer, whether it's a KSub or a KW181. The KW181 is front loaded, so don't cover the front of the enclosure. With the KSub, do not cover the front of the enclosure, the side with the logo badge and the power LED.

I would recommend having at least a couple inches of airspace around the enclosure so air can circulate.
    Bob Lee
    Technical Communications Developer
    QSC, LLC
    Fellow, Audio Engineering Society
    "If it sounds good, it is good." —Duke Ellington
    Bob Lee
    QSC Audio Products

Return to K Family Loudspeaker Discussion

Information