KW122 power off on first limit light

K, KW, and KLA Series loudspeakers

Moderators: Cameron Shoffner, Christian Cook, Kirk Fyvie, Martin Barbour, Gary Evans_QSC

Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:36 am

• Hi there!

I bought a KW122 second hand. I gave it a good test when i got it and it seemed to perform fine (though it was a residential area so i couldn't crank it for long). Just used it as a drum monitor on it's first live outing and it kept cutting out. Brought it back to my studio to give it a good test.

It seems to be cutting out instantly when the limit light illuminates. I'm not working it that hard. It even seems to be a bit quieter than my K12's when they start to limit.

Obviously I'm not going to run a speaker riding the limit light, but it should be limiting first and then cutting out when things get dangerous shouldn't it? I would imagine it was only on the hard kicks it would have limited, which it should be able to handle in my experience. Checking it in the studio i can play a track through, and it's fine as i slowly turn it up and up and then suddenly the limit light blinks on and the whole unit switches off for about 5 seconds, then comes back on.

Any ideas? I would rather try and self repair first before sending it off as it's an older pretty beat up unit. If anyone has a link to any service documentation that would be fantastic.

Cheers,
    Greg
    wilcopshot

• That's not something it should do. I would recommend that you get it checked out by a qualified service technician. Where are you located?
    Bob Lee
    Technical Communications Developer
    QSC, LLC
    Fellow, Audio Engineering Society
    "If it sounds good, it is good." —Duke Ellington
    Bob Lee
    QSC Audio Products

• Actually i have made some headway. I found a post about a K12 with a similar issue in the service & repair forum that mentions a capacitor that might be loose on one of the amp boards. I've taken it apart and sure thing, that capacitor has one broken leg. I'm going to source a replacement and I'll keep this updated as to my progress. Fingers crossed!
    wilcopshot

• Good! Let us know how it goes.
    Bob Lee
    QSC, LLC
    Bob Lee
    QSC Audio Products

• Cool! Thanks for sharing the update. I'm glad it went well.
    Bob Lee
    QSC, LLC
    Bob Lee
    QSC Audio Products

Return to K Family Loudspeaker Discussion

Information