Running K speakers and a digital mixer in cccold weather

K, KW, and KLA Series loudspeakers

Moderators: Cameron Shoffner, Christian Cook, Kirk Fyvie, Martin Barbour, Gary Evans_QSC

• I have an outdoor event coming up where I'll be using KW153's and KW181's for mains, K10's for monitors, and a digital mixer to mix a band. The weather forecast is saying that it will dip into the low 20's. Could the cold weather cause possible damage to the speakers or mixer? Thanks in advance for your feedback.
    lookingforsound

• The K and KW loudspeakers should be OK as long as they're kept dry, and free of any precipitation or condensation.

Do you know what brand of digital mixer you'll be using? If so, contact the manufacturer for advice.
    Bob Lee
    Technical Communications Developer
    QSC, LLC
    Fellow, Audio Engineering Society
    "If it sounds good, it is good." —Duke Ellington
    Bob Lee
    QSC Audio Products

• Thanks for your quick response Bob. Yes I am always careful to keep all of my gear dry. Although I have used this same system outdoors I haven't when it's been this cold so your reply is appreciated. As far as the mixer goes it's a X32 which I have also used in cold weather with no troubles. When bringing gear inside from the cold I always give time for the equipment to acclimate, but I do always get a bit nervous using the gear outside in extremely cold weather. Thanks again for your reply!
    lookingforsound

• If you're planning on running the loudspeakers really hard, I would suggest letting them warm up with some low or moderate-level sound for at least five or ten minutes first. Like maybe some background music.
    Bob Lee
    Technical Communications Developer
    QSC, LLC
    Fellow, Audio Engineering Society
    "If it sounds good, it is good." —Duke Ellington
    Bob Lee
    QSC Audio Products

Return to K Family Loudspeaker Discussion

Information