HPR122i Compression Driver Question

Moderators: Cameron Shoffner, Christian Cook, Kirk Fyvie, Martin Barbour, Gary Evans_QSC

Wed Mar 18, 2015 12:44 pm

• Sound stopped coming out of the tweeter cone of my HPR 122i so I took it apart to investigate. I was shocked to find that the rear magnet of the compression driver (http://www.qscparts.com/sp000086gp.html) had fallen off and was laying in the bottom of the cabinet. The woofer is fine.

I've ordered a replacement already but my question is this. Is this indicative of a bigger issue with the electronics? I cant imagine this thing ever coming apart even if I were to drop the cabinet off the roof of my house. I stuck it back together and it's so strong I need tools to separate them. So does anyone know if it sounds like the other electronics may be malfunctioning in order to blow the magnet off?

I have two of the cabinets and I swapped the good driver into the other one just to test and it seemed to work fine. I just don't want to waste the new driver if the electronics are faulty.

Thanks in advance :)
    Bonemud

• It's not likely that anything electronic would cause a magnet to break off. Usually that sort of thing is caused by a mechanical shock or faulty adhesive.
    Bob Lee
    Technical Communications Developer
    QSC, LLC
    Fellow, Audio Engineering Society
    "If it sounds good, it is good." —Duke Ellington
    Bob Lee
    QSC Audio Products

• Ah thanks Bob. Exactly what I was looking to find out. Is this a common thing?
    Bonemud

Return to Loudspeaker Support

Information