power consumption

Moderators: Cameron Shoffner, Christian Cook, Kirk Fyvie, Martin Barbour, Gary Evans_QSC, QSC-Dale Sandberg

Thu Aug 06, 2015 6:40 pm

• hi bob..last time,,chatted to u about my rmx 2450...still going strong...i now own a pl4..another great amp & much lighter,,which is better for me...

my questions & scenarios...instead of carrying the rmx out with me,,for certain events just wanted to take out the pl4 on it's own...i usually run all my amps down to 4 ohm,,,so if i wanted to run this amp with 2 4ohm highs one side=2 ohms & 2 4 ohm lows on the other side,,using a crossover before the amp,,probably running it at 2 thirds to 3 quarter volume,,firstly,,what would be the rough power consumption in uk pls??

how would the amp run & would you say this is safe for a twelve hour do???also,,from time to time,,looking to run one side at 2 ohms & the other at 4 ohms..is this also safe???8 & 4 i have done,,no probs,,but 4 ohm & 2 ohm haven't tried...love my qsc amps,,i know they are robust,,but i like to be careful...thanx..
    chalky
    Rookie

Fri Aug 07, 2015 3:46 pm

• With a 2Ω load on each channel of a PL4.0, the worst-case current draw on 240V mains would be about 10.6 A.

With a 2Ω load on one channel and 4Ω on the other, the worst case current draw would be around 9 A.

And assuming the amp's air flow is not impeded and the mains doesn't falter, the amp can run for more than 12 hours.
    Bob Lee
    Technical Communications Developer
    QSC, LLC
    Fellow, Audio Engineering Society
    "If it sounds good, it is good." —Duke Ellington
    Bob Lee
    QSC Audio Products

Tue Aug 11, 2015 12:51 pm

Return to Power Amplifier General Discussion - Applications, tips and tricks, and more

Information