Seeking help....newbie in distress

Moderators: Cameron Shoffner, Christian Cook, Kirk Fyvie, Martin Barbour, Gary Evans_QSC, QSC-Dale Sandberg

Mon May 23, 2016 9:35 pm

• Yes seeking help and new to this. Well, not completely new. I've played guitar and been around some sound peeps, but a long time ago. I got a smoking deal on some gear from a retired dj, and looking for advice on getting the best from what I have. I'm trying to encourage my son away from depression and drugs with this gear. This is what I have:
    2 qsc rmx1450's
    2 qsc rmx 2450's
    4 jbl sf25 cab's
    4 jbl jrx125 cab's
    2 cerwin vega el36b sub's
    2 custom subs equal to the cerwin's
    Also have Behringer UB2222FX-PRO, Behringer Ultragraph Pro GEQ3102, Behringer Super-x pro CX3400, Gemini PDM-03, and two Denon DN-D4500 CD players.

Any advice is appreciated, and yes I know it's not the high end stuff, but it's what I have.
    darman

• Maybe you don't want to see this but gear is not going fix anything. You know what your going to buy so it's your choice.
    jackson
    The high rail

• Oh golly gee, thanks sooo much for the advice. Think I'll just hook everything up and hopefully it don't kill the neighbors.
    darman

• Really. So would it be a good thing to connect two jbl sf25's on each channel of the 2450's making it a 2ohm load? The manual shows a rating at 2ohm, but other people say not a good thing.
    darman

• It's advised because your amp will be at it fullest available power. I had a friend who ran at 2 ohms all the time but he knew his gears limits. For someone new to this I find Don Boomer's white paper @ Peaveys site very easy to read in laymans terms. I believe your SF25 cabs are 4ohms already so I wouldn't combine them with the JRX125 which are 4 ohms also. At a 2ohm rating with both cabs on one side of the 1450 would only be @ 700w=350w per cab. Each of your cabs are 500w continuous I suspect that you would be over driving that amp to get any good response, which would be bad in this case. Excessive peaking = distortion/overdriving the amp and probably in this case burning up the amp, not the speakers. The 2450 would be better for a 2 ohm load, 1200w @ 2 ohms = 600w per cab. Now on to the subs. They're 500w continuous and the 1450 puts out 1200w @ 4ohms in bridge mode. Not a bad combo but no matter how you look at it each amp is only going to give those subs 500w/2450 to each cab @ 8 ohms or 600w/1450 in bridge mode to each cab. IMHO I would use the top cabs 2 for each 2450 and the subs run one on each 1450 in bridge mode. The thing here is those dual 15" cabs are going to easily overpower the subs using all that gear at once. Ideally you would want one top to a sub. Again this just my opinion, and read, read, read, and when you've read enough, read some more.
    jackson
    The high rail

Return to Power Amplifier General Discussion - Applications, tips and tricks, and more

Information