Media players to use with Q-Sys

Moderators: Cameron Shoffner, Christian Cook, Kirk Fyvie, Martin Barbour, Fred Thomke, Gary Evans_QSC, Chris Brouelette

Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:14 am

• So what's your go to media player to use with Q-Sys? I am looking for something that is at least 8 channels, prefer 16 channel but as much as possible I want to keep the wiring simple and want to stay digital.

I know the core has audio playback capability but I'm looking for an outboard system that I can just pop a card in and change what is playing, or send updates through ethernet.

Would love something along the lines of an Alcorn Mcbride ProTraxx, but don't want to have 16 RCA connectors going to Line In cards. Not only is that moving from digital to analog and back to digital, it's also taking up quite a few card slots in my core, or IO Frame.

So what player would you recommend, and how would you connect it to the system?

I want to hear both from QSC and what they recommend, and what others have used.

Thanks! :D
    Matt Drake
    morte615@gmail.com
    --------------------
    Dragon's Fire Design: http://dragonsfiredesign.com
    Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/mattdrake
    morte615
    Possibly an old pro

Sun Feb 15, 2015 4:14 pm

• So doing some research it seems that the best way to go would be a Dante card in the core and use the Dante feature on an Alcorn McBride Digital Binloop.

So my question is, do I need any other hardware to operate this type of system?

In other words say the basic setup would be a core connected to a Binloop using Dante, with the Core controlling all routing (and maybe some control info to the Binloop.) Output would be either an IO Frame or a CXD-Q amplifier. That's a very basic setup but I think gets the idea across.
    Matt Drake
    morte615@gmail.com
    --------------------
    Dragon's Fire Design: http://dragonsfiredesign.com
    Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/mattdrake
    morte615
    Possibly an old pro

Fri Feb 20, 2015 6:12 pm

• Hello Matt,

Sure, you can use an external Bin Loop player with a Dante output to feed a Dante input card in your Q-Sys Core or IO Frame. Your basic layout as you describe will work just fine. But, be aware there is a Bin Loop player in the Q-Sys software already, along with other audio players, so you're buying something extra that already exists and is paid for. The only thing you might want to add (HIGHLY recommended) is a solid-state Media Drive for the Core. It has to be one of the QSC-supplied drives or it won't work.
    Fred Thomke
    NO PRIVATE MESSAGES, PLEASE (use email address)
    Application Engineering Team
    Systems Support - Senior
    QSC Audio Products, LLC
    +1-800-QSC-AUDIO Tech Support
    +1-800-854-4079 Sales
    fred.thomke@qsc.com

Fred Thomke
    QSC Audio Products

Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:53 am

• I know this post is a few months old, but it relates well to a question I have.

When we initially purchased our core 3000 in 2012, we were not made aware from our dealer about the option of a factory upgrade to the Solid State media drive for playback. We have been able to make it work with intentional media management for playback, but we are now hoping to take advantage of the new audio recorder component - which could fill up 3.8 gb in an awful hurry around here!

2 questions relating to this:

1. Are we able to purchase a QSC media drive and either have our IT department install it, or have it installed locally at a QSC warranty authorized service center, or would we have to send our core to QSC to do that?

2. With the introduction of the Core 110f and TSC-7t as a foreshadow (notably their audio in/out over usb and Bluetooth features), can we expect to see a software upgrade in the near future that would allow direct recording to and/or media playback from an external USB drive or dedicated network storage device such as a NAS ('network attached storage', not 'network audio stream' as Q-Lan uses the acronym)? Or is this already possible in a reliable way using the media stream or WAN rx/tx?
    adamjsouthland

Mon Jun 08, 2015 11:09 pm

• Hi,

You can purchase a Media Drive Kit from an authorized QSC Q-Sys dealer. A Media Drive can be purchased in small(80Gb), medium(160Gb) or large(600Gb) sizes. If you have performed any type of PC computer repair or have built you own PC, the installation is fairly straight forward. What is extremely important is that when a Media Drive is purchased, the Core’s firmware which will be using the Media Drive be given with the order.

You can also send the Core to me here at the factory and I can install it.
    As for any future feature implementations with the new releasing Q-Sys products, those questions can be answered or at least vetted at the upcoming InfoComm show.
    Brad Sambrano
    Systems Support Engineer
    QSC Audio Products, LLC
    Brad Sambrano
    QSC Audio Products

Return to General QSC Systems Discussion (Q-SYS, QSControl.net, etc)

Information