pl340 for home use......

Moderators: Cameron Shoffner, Christian Cook, Kirk Fyvie, Martin Barbour, Gary Evans_QSC, QSC-Dale Sandberg

Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:10 am

• just curious as to the sound quality for home use,....before and after burn in time. would these be suitable for home use? i know about the fans, not a problem for me. any replies are helpful!!
    Family, Hockey, SIngle Malt Scotch, Good friends, Heavy Metal, What else is there?
    arctikdeth
    Compression driver

Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:59 am

• The amps are extremely accurate, so the sound quality will depend on the quality of the input signal and of the loudspeakers. I don't understand what you're asking about "burn-in time."
    Bob Lee
    Technical Communications Developer
    QSC, LLC
    Fellow, Audio Engineering Society
    "If it sounds good, it is good." —Duke Ellington
    Bob Lee
    QSC Audio Products

Tue Nov 25, 2008 2:21 pm

• burn in time is running the amp for a while until it warms up, most audiophile amps need a warm up time of a week or so to sound their best. my Rotel 1090 needed about 2 weeks, thern the bass extension was really well defined and the midrange was very liquid like. compared to the first 3-4 hours of listening.

so these would be suitable for home use...???? I want a high powered amp, i want to go with the LAb Gruppen, as they have double and triple the power of the pl340s', but their specs dont compare as good. I would get the pl380- but dont have a 20,000 amp breaker in my home for this one. so the pl340 will have to do. I used 2 Crown studio ref 1's in the past, they were the best amps I have ever used, but are no longer made. so I am seasrching for good clean power amps. My friend is a dj, I have heard some of your older pl 200 series from years past, they do sound pretty descent for pro audio, but these new ones have much better specs. WIll their home use be ok, a far as sound quality? they will be driving a pair of Cerwin Vega D-9 home speakersd rated at 350. the speakers are from I think 1988 when i bought them new, drove them home in my 84 cutlass supreme, one in the trunk and one tied to the roof of the car, fun drive home.
    Family, Hockey, SIngle Malt Scotch, Good friends, Heavy Metal, What else is there?
    arctikdeth
    Compression driver

Tue Nov 25, 2008 3:35 pm

• Oh, okay. You don't need burn-in with the PL340.
    Bob Lee
    QSC, LLC
    Bob Lee
    QSC Audio Products

Tue Nov 25, 2008 5:44 pm

• You want to use a PL340 on a set of D9? this way too much power, i do have a set of D9 at home as well and a RMX1850HD is more then enough to blow the woofer on these. The PL340 is putting 800 watts a side unless you plan to upgrade your speakers or move it to subwoofer duty i would not get that amp get something like PLX1104 or PLX1802 would be a smarter choice and would save you money.
    Stephane Levesque
    Stephane
    The high rail

Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:08 pm

• it may seem like overkill, but I love the open soundstage it gives to any speaker, this is the problem these days, all the underpowering of speakers. I was using 2 carvin dcm 2000 in bridge mono driving an older pair of Altec Lansing 510;s, they were only rated at 250 watts--I had 2000 to each, i had those speakers sounding as good as they would ever sound, and no harm was done, i pushed them to the limit, im sure i was well beyond the rated 250 watts, as i was almost halfwa on my volume knob, and my preamps gain is 14v, pretty high by audiophile standards as well. Im sure the vegas would love the power. Im going to be purchasing some 1000 watt mono blocks from a good up and coming internet audio company this christmas, so i will have an abundance of power to psare. its not how much power, its how little-that ultimately ruins voice coils and the delicate tweeters. Im going to buy the pl340, just for Sh*ts and giggles, to see how it sounds, if its not up to par, ill sell it to my DJ buddy. BUt im sure it will sound fantastic, as I have a nice Parasound preamp w/ high gain that would love these amps, and its fully balanced ( says Parasound )...
    arctikdeth
    Compression driver

Wed Nov 26, 2008 11:04 am

• arctikdeth wrote:its not how much power, its how little-that ultimately ruins voice coils and the delicate tweeters.

That's not true. You cannot damage a loudspeaker by putting "too little" power into it--only by overpowering or overexcursion.
    Bob Lee
    QSC, LLC
    Bob Lee
    QSC Audio Products

Wed Nov 26, 2008 7:03 pm

• I have ruined more drivers by underpowering than I have by using more watts amps. when i was younfger i would get a 100 wpc amp, and turn it up almost all the way, even though the speakers were rated at 500 watts, its the distortion that blew the drivers,.....i have since used a minimum of 350-1000(rms) wpc amps in all my gear, and have nevver blown a driver since,..........I have driven a 200 watt speaker pair with a 500 watt class a amp, and they spakers just sounded like they were begging for more??

back to my original question,....will the pl340 be ok(sound quality wise) to run my home speakers, granted I will never turn it up to loud, the amp should last me a lomng time,...but with my luck, ill most likely get a lemon,..thats just how it goes for me. it will break after a month, and ill be sending it back to you 15 times over the next 6 years,...THIS is my worry, finding a RELIABLE amp. this is why im going with pro amps, as their reputation of RELIABILITY is the best,..or so ive gheard.
    arctikdeth
    Compression driver

Wed Nov 26, 2008 7:06 pm

• one more question for the master behind the QSC forum.......

Why do woofers move uncontrollably and very fast during playback of records? is it the lower frequencies that are inaudible, and cause the woofers to move and extend very far?? please help w/ this question. Thank you!!!!!

R
    arctikdeth
    Compression driver

Thu Nov 27, 2008 11:52 am

• So you are saying under power will blow your speakers so as soon as i turn on my amps i should bring the volume to the max so i will be safe? the problem people have is just not enough power for the job not under powering a speaker witch is a different story. For your second question it a feedback that your picking up .

arctikdeth wrote:I have ruined more drivers by underpowering than I have by using more watts amps. when i was younfger i would get a 100 wpc amp, and turn it up almost all the way, even though the speakers were rated at 500 watts, its the distortion that blew the drivers,.....i have since used a minimum of 350-1000(rms) wpc amps in all my gear, and have nevver blown a driver since,..........I have driven a 200 watt speaker pair with a 500 watt class a amp, and they spakers just sounded like they were begging for more??

back to my original question,....will the pl340 be ok(sound quality wise) to run my home speakers, granted I will never turn it up to loud, the amp should last me a lomng time,...but with my luck, ill most likely get a lemon,..thats just how it goes for me. it will break after a month, and ill be sending it back to you 15 times over the next 6 years,...THIS is my worry, finding a RELIABLE amp. this is why im going with pro amps, as their reputation of RELIABILITY is the best,..or so ive gheard.
    Stephane Levesque
    Stephane
    The high rail

Thu Nov 27, 2008 6:10 pm

• Low power amps do not damage speakers. Like you said it's the distortion; that is exactly why most amps have a CLIP light. For optimal performance; get an amp that's rated equal to the speakers "program" power or double its RMS rating. The reasoning is simple: You have the ideal power available and the clip light will let you know when you are at that level. If you use an amp that rated less; that's OK. Just keep in mind that when the clip light starts to flicker (on ANY amp), that's the limit, apply no more gain, or you risk damaging you speakers
    Chris 226
    The high rail

Sat Nov 29, 2008 3:13 am

• It's not distortion that blows drivers; only overpowering (thermal damage) or overexcursion (mechanical damage). If "underpowering" damaged loudspeakers, we could never turn off our sound systems. :wink:

The PL340 and other QSC amps are designed for exceptional accuracy. The sound quality of the amp will depend on the sound quality of the input signals.
    Bob Lee
    QSC, LLC
    Bob Lee
    QSC Audio Products

Sat Nov 29, 2008 3:24 am

• arctikdeth wrote: Why do woofers move uncontrollably and very fast during playback of records? is it the lower frequencies that are inaudible, and cause the woofers to move and extend very far?? please help w/ this question. Thank you!!!!!

Those signals that cause woofer movement that you can actually see are extremely low frequencies, which are often well below the tuning frequency of the loudspeaker enclosure and therefore underdamped and capable of causing overexcursion. LP records are especially liable to produce signals at multiples of 0.555 Hz, which may pass completely through a system that does not have adequate high-pass filtering. Many QSC amps (including the PL340) have selectable high-pass filters for reducing this extreme LF energy.
    Bob Lee
    QSC, LLC
    Bob Lee
    QSC Audio Products

Sat Nov 29, 2008 7:18 am

• SOLD! thanks, i hope these last more than 5 years,.....purchase in re-production....ill email here after i burn them in, and give my feelings of the amp. technics mark 2 turntable w/ adc xlm-1 cart, B&K pre-amp, energy rc-70 oudspeakers, NAD cd player

P.S....... would I use the high pass filterts on the back of the amp?? ill call the techs when i get the amp and do all this crap over the phone, filtering,....atten setting, sll the fun stuff im not fam,iliar with the pro amps, as most audiophile amps, are just plug n play. no bells n whicstles
    arctikdeth
    Compression driver

Sat Nov 29, 2008 12:10 pm

• getting purchase jitters again...............

I just wanted to make sure the pl340 IS THE VERY BEST sounding amplifier you have for home use, and the most musical for its highs, mids and bass response. as ive said im a somewhat audiophile and need a nice open liquid sound, that would make Gary Moore sound as good as he wouold live.
    arctikdeth
    Compression driver

Sat Nov 29, 2008 10:26 pm

• The high-pass filters are useful for protecting loudspeakers against overexcursion.

Good power amps are accurate. Good musicians are musical.
    Bob Lee
    QSC, LLC
    Bob Lee
    QSC Audio Products

Sun Nov 30, 2008 11:14 am

• I agree with Arctikdeth on "burn In time to "wake up the caps.'.
    Also with under powered amps clipping and frying my drivers.
    Arctikdeth, Why not a Krell or a levinson amp?
    Sean
    seaner
    Rookie

Sun Nov 30, 2008 12:44 pm

• seaner wrote:I agree with Arctikdeth on "burn In time to "wake up the caps.'.
    Sean

Sean, I have tried Krell Ksa 250 and I borrowed a FPB 600 strero amplifier, which was amazing as well, buut after a year, I had problems with these EXTREMELY OVERPRICED ampliufiers. SI I decided to give proaudio a chance, I used 2 Carvin dcm 2000 in b ridge mono , I had 2000 watts perside feeding my older ALtec lansing 510/s speakers, the sound and detail was amazing, but these amps, jst had many problems, si i just gave em away to friends.
    I never tried MArk levinson, but given the price and the other brands, I assumed they would be the same as the Krell and Classe, although the Classe mono blocks were not quite as pricy as the Krell, they were the best sounding amps I have ever used. I still have them, but they are used more as furnature these days, as they fit in my home decor quite nice. I have used tube amps, solid state, linear, and many other very high end amplifiers which have cost me 1 marriage and much more money. SO after a borrowed QSC amplifier, from a DJ buddy of mine, I was hooked, I think I am anyway, I used it side by side w/ the Classe amps, and actually thge CLasse were much more accurate, but expected for the pricetag and size, a 35 pound QSC VS. 2 160 lb(each) classe mono blocks., butu I was amazed at the clarity of the qsc, and have decided to give them a try as I will be saving thousands and thooouuuuusands of dollars in the process. SO from your standpooint, would you install qsc amplsifiers in your home???? or do you use Mark Levinson amps exclusively? any inoput is appreciated. Thank you Sean!!!!
    arctikdeth
    Compression driver

Sun Nov 30, 2008 12:53 pm

• I have been looking at several pro amps actually, ai am looking st thge Lab Gruppen fp+ series the fp6000 I think, but that has almost to much power. and the Face audio www.faceaudio.com which are just beautiful amplifiers, there specs and sound are second to none, I am in the process od auditioning a face audio amp. but have to set up an audition and will ask to brnig it home in my enviroment and components. these speca actually fry the qsc, buut the qsc's do look a bit smaller and are more eye pleasing. I like to keep my amps out in the open next to the speakers, and the qsc amps are small and would look less cluttered, compared to the Classe behemoth mono bk's. and the face amps, check out the website faceaudio.com, the titanium series ate not to bad looking, and weigh about 100 lbs, weight is not a prob, as they will not be moved for at leats 5-10 years once in place, this is why i NEED a reliable amp, that will NOT need to be sent back for relair, hence the move to pro amps. any thoughts Sean.............................................
    arctikdeth
    Compression driver

Sun Nov 30, 2008 3:26 pm

• Bob Lee wrote:The high-pass filters are useful for protecting loudspeakers against overexcursion.

Good power amps are accurate. Good musicians are musical.

Good power amps are accurate, yes sir!! is the plp340 ACCURATE AS STATED? I have excellent preamp, cd player, turntable stylus-headshell, audioquest cabled throughout. major question is, will goosebumpe fill my arms upon first listen, as with my classe amps, i had such a good feeling and heard t hings in other recordings i have never heard before witht he classe amps. I dont just want a powerhouse if it does not have a beautiful sound, yes the word beautiful is rarely used, but in audio it is widely used for the sound from a amplifier. I have several speakers as stated, so maybe this amp will find a good pair to open up with.

I will give a review after 1 week, then after 2-3 months, after the amp has been broken in to see if there is any changes in sound and or low end sound. it wiol be going head to head with my Classe 600 wpc mono blocks and my Roel rb1090 780 wpc(4ohm) strero amp. and I might even bring the amp to my local dealer, and see what it sounds like through a nice B&W 801's or 2's among others, and do amp comparisons with, VPL--Bryston-- and a carver sunfire 600- ill be giving a huge review later in 20090 with my thoughts and such. the sound, accuracy, mid, highs and low end.

is there any add ons available for the pl340 that would help with making the amp sound better in all aspects of the sound from 20-20 hz. as im dying to see how well the clip limiters work, as t his is not a function in most audiophile amplifiers. some have it but not many. I know mcintosh has thye softlimit or something,...more later
    arctikdeth
    Compression driver

Sun Nov 30, 2008 3:33 pm

• arctikdeth wrote: as im dying to see how well the clip limiters work, as t his is not a function in most audiophile amplifiers.

If you are hitting the amp hard enough to see "how the clip limiters sound" you will be "dying" your speakers......

I have a Bryston 4B driving my studio monitors and it is powerful and all but I would never consider using my PL4.0 (older version of the PL340, same power) on home / studio monitors.

We are all warning you not to murder your expensive "audiophile" speakers, I hope you take this warning seriously.

Enjoy, Ram6speed
    JBL VRX / SRX / SR-subs
    QSC PTX36 - PL4.0
    Yamaha digital consoles
    Rode Microphones S1 / NT5 / NTK / NT3
    ram6speed
    Compression driver

Sun Nov 30, 2008 4:50 pm

• seaner wrote:I agree with Arctikdeth on "burn In time to "wake up the caps.'.
    Sean

Sean like i stated before there is no such thing as under powering a speaker, this is imposible other wise i would instantly blow all my speakers when i listen to soft music or turn on my amp right?

I have never blow a speaker with my 65 watts amp and my 150 watts speakers, the problem is people that doesn't know when to stop cranking the amp. If you are trying to fill a room(SPL) with 65 watts with any set of speakers (ZILLIONS WATTS rated if you want) and you actually need 5000 watts to do the job YOU DO HAVE A PROBLEM read amp is clipping and you blow speaker.

The way you and many other people think most of us would be blowing speaker left,right and centre and i do not believe any serious sound engineer or audiophile like blowing speakers for the hell of it.
    Stephane Levesque
    Stephane
    The high rail

Sun Nov 30, 2008 7:31 pm

• Hi Stephane
    I agree that people don't know when to stop, some people can't hear even hard clipping. Hard clipping will melt your voice coil from a lack of venting while the amp is at it's limits (positive or negative) and waiting for the the clip to end. It will blow your voice coil. On the other hand an amp with too much power, people can hear an over excursion (POP) and turn the amps down. This is what I believe. However, fill in the holes.

Arctikdeth,
    I figure your RC-70 @ 94-95 W/m efficiency @ 800 watts @ two meters would produce about 115 db with no head room. If they stay together, you could see the amp clip for a short time.

I use some old Mac Mc 40 re-worked with wonder caps and wire wound resistors for mids/highs and whatever transistor for lows. Low budget.
    but with a kid now in college and I'm starting a new system.
    seaner
    Rookie

Sun Nov 30, 2008 8:21 pm

• 95 db @ 2m to get 115 db you need 400 watts and 800 watts to get 118 db @ 2 meters if the speaker survive

When you hear the POP mean voice coil hit the bottom so = deformed voice coil and it a bit too late as well :mrgreen: . Over powering will melt your voice coil from a lack of venting as well keep this in mind :mrgreen: i feel comfortable with my statement and i'm sure any serious sound man will back up my statement.

http://www.energy-speakers.com/na-en/pr ... fications/ Energy suggests up to 250 watts RMS max so i would say those speakers are rated 125 watts RMS.
    Stephane Levesque
    Stephane
    The high rail

Sun Nov 30, 2008 8:40 pm

• Stephane wrote:95 db @ 2m to get 115 db you need 400 watts and 800 watts to get 118 db @ 2 meters if the speaker survive

When you hear the POP mean voice coil hit the bottom so = deformed voice coil and it a bit too late as well :mrgreen: . Over powering will melt your voice coil from a lack of venting as well keep this in mind :mrgreen: i feel comfortable with my statement and i'm sure any serious sound man will back up my statement.

http://www.energy-speakers.com/na-en/pr ... fications/ Energy suggests up to 250 watts RMS max so i would say those speakers are rated 125 watts RMS.

So you agree :D
    seaner
    Rookie

Next

Return to Power Amplifier Support

Information