New user

Community discussion about QSC’s TouchMix-8, TouchMix-16, and TouchMix-30 compact digital mixers

Moderators: Brad Zell, Bob Lee, Gary Evans_QSC, Chris Brouelette, JasonFernandez

Tue Apr 28, 2015 5:08 pm

  • Hey guys,
    I just wanted to jump in and say I received my Touchmix 16 today. Since I'd watched pretty much every video posted to YouTube and read every post (multiple times) on this forum regarding Touchmix, I felt ready to go when it arrived. I had it up and running, new software loaded and iPads connected in less than an hour! Very impressive! It's not cuz I'm a genius, I have to hand it to QSC. I find the software and layout very intuitive. Great product guys and well executed! I'm a fan :D
    Rick W
    Rick W
    Newbie
     
    Posts: 4
    Joined: Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:53 am

Wed Apr 29, 2015 7:07 am

  • Welcome! I think you made the right decision on which board to buy. Of course, I am somewhat biased since I made the same decision.

    Hope all goes well for you!
    LoneLizard
    The high rail
     
    Posts: 144
    Joined: Thu Sep 11, 2014 6:09 am

Wed Apr 29, 2015 12:28 pm

  • You're gonna LOVE this mixer! :D
    mix
    Magnum
     
    Posts: 105
    Joined: Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:32 am
    Location: Los Angeles, California

Wed Apr 29, 2015 12:35 pm

  • Rick (and anyone else):

    PLEASE make sure to update your firmware to v2.1 per our website here! Do this before you do ANYTHING else!!

    Regards,
    Fred Thomke
    NO PRIVATE MESSAGES, PLEASE (use email address)
    Application Engineering Team
    Systems Support - Senior
    QSC Audio Products, LLC
    +1-800-QSC-AUDIO Tech Support
    +1-800-854-4079 Sales
    fred.thomke@qsc.com

    Image
    User avatar
    Fred Thomke
    QSC Audio Products
     
    Posts: 136
    Joined: Thu Jun 19, 2003 1:01 am
    Location: Costa Mesa, CA

Wed Apr 29, 2015 3:01 pm

  • Fred,
    I updated the software yesterday afternoon about 4pm PST. Was that the most current version?
    Thanks,
    RW
    Rick W
    Newbie
     
    Posts: 4
    Joined: Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:53 am

Wed Apr 29, 2015 3:24 pm

  • Whatever is the most current version on our website at the time. Presently, it is v2.1.4583 as of the writing of this message. If you registered when you downloaded, you SHOULD get an email whenever a newer update is available in the future, however I wouldn't rely on getting the email. Who knows if the emails get bogged/lost in spam filters, etc. I would suggest occasionally checking that page yourself to see if any newer update has been posted.
    Fred Thomke
    NO PRIVATE MESSAGES, PLEASE (use email address)
    Application Engineering Team
    Systems Support - Senior
    QSC Audio Products, LLC
    +1-800-QSC-AUDIO Tech Support
    +1-800-854-4079 Sales
    fred.thomke@qsc.com

    Image
    User avatar
    Fred Thomke
    QSC Audio Products
     
    Posts: 136
    Joined: Thu Jun 19, 2003 1:01 am
    Location: Costa Mesa, CA

Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:40 pm

  • We just got this mixer to for our synagogue. Use it two times now and it going aright. I did make a mistake of changing a preset during the service and that mess up the aux sends. We watch all the videos and got it setup with wireless to use my ipad as well. what is the best way to play music before service? I was hoping you could do that with the ipad connected with wireless. I need more info on using comp, filters and gate. Never used them before on my old board. Looking for help to learn to run this better each week.


    sound guy from Beth El Gabor
    lbenner
    Possibly an old pro
     
    Posts: 29
    Joined: Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:11 pm

Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:32 am

  • lbenner wrote:We just got this mixer to for our synagogue. Use it two times now and it going aright. I did make a mistake of changing a preset during the service and that mess up the aux sends. We watch all the videos and got it setup with wireless to use my ipad as well. what is the best way to play music before service? I was hoping you could do that with the ipad connected with wireless. I need more info on using comp, filters and gate. Never used them before on my old board. Looking for help to learn to run this better each week.


    sound guy from Beth El Gabor


    The best way to play playback music would be to use one of the stereo inputs 17/18 or 19/20. Use an ipod, laptop or other such playback device to play your music directly through the mixer.

    For more information on the functionality of the mixer and it's different features, you can download the full user manual form our website.

    Thanks
    Jason Fernandez
    TouchMix Customer Support
    QSC Audio Products, LLC
    Image
    JasonFernandez
    QSC Audio Products
     
    Posts: 286
    Joined: Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:35 am

Thu Jun 25, 2015 1:41 pm

  • Just to add to Jason's reply (I'm reading between the lines, lbenner):

    There is no way to send the audio from the iPad or other device via Wifi or bluetooth, if that's what you are asking. The TouchMix does not have the ability to receive Wifi or Bluetooth audio (at this time). But Jason's reply is spot on: use your iPad, iPhone, iPod, or other MP3 player to play audio through the stereo inputs (17/18 or 19/20) using a simple 1/8 stereo plug to 1/4 stereo plug cable. These are also known as 1/8 TRS to 1/4 TRS cables.
    Fred Thomke
    NO PRIVATE MESSAGES, PLEASE (use email address)
    Application Engineering Team
    Systems Support - Senior
    QSC Audio Products, LLC
    +1-800-QSC-AUDIO Tech Support
    +1-800-854-4079 Sales
    fred.thomke@qsc.com

    Image
    User avatar
    Fred Thomke
    QSC Audio Products
     
    Posts: 136
    Joined: Thu Jun 19, 2003 1:01 am
    Location: Costa Mesa, CA

Thu Jun 25, 2015 2:55 pm

  • Fred Thomke wrote:Just to add to Jason's reply (I'm reading between the lines, lbenner):

    There is no way to send the audio from the iPad or other device via Wifi or bluetooth, if that's what you are asking. The TouchMix does not have the ability to receive Wifi or Bluetooth audio (at this time). But Jason's reply is spot on: use your iPad, iPhone, iPod, or other MP3 player to play audio through the stereo inputs (17/18 or 19/20) using a simple 1/8 stereo plug to 1/4 stereo plug cable. These are also known as 1/8 TRS to 1/4 TRS cables.


    Actually Fred, there is! I know I've seen some posts on this forum about using an Apple Airport Express for the router and it has a feature that allows you to stream from your iOS device to the Airport Express and the Airport Express has an 1/8" out so you can connect it to the TouchMix.

    I'm not using one currently, but I have looked into it and according to Apple's website it is possible. Looks like I will be picking one up...

    Steph
    Steph
    The high rail
     
    Posts: 121
    Joined: Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:55 am

Thu Jun 25, 2015 4:05 pm

  • OK, that's very good to know. I'm sure there are other "wireless" transmitter/receiver solutions as well. I was merely talking about a "built-in" solution for the TM16 andTM8 itself -- there is no way for the TouchMix to natively receive transmitted audio from another device at this time. Certainly, 3rd party solutions exist to essentially accomplish almost the same thing.

    Good to know there are other solutions folks are willing to use.

    Thanks!
    Fred Thomke
    NO PRIVATE MESSAGES, PLEASE (use email address)
    Application Engineering Team
    Systems Support - Senior
    QSC Audio Products, LLC
    +1-800-QSC-AUDIO Tech Support
    +1-800-854-4079 Sales
    fred.thomke@qsc.com

    Image
    User avatar
    Fred Thomke
    QSC Audio Products
     
    Posts: 136
    Joined: Thu Jun 19, 2003 1:01 am
    Location: Costa Mesa, CA

Fri Jun 26, 2015 12:42 am

  • Fred Thomke wrote:OK, that's very good to know. I'm sure there are other "wireless" transmitter/receiver solutions as well. I was merely talking about a "built-in" solution for the TM16 andTM8 itself -- there is no way for the TouchMix to natively receive transmitted audio from another device at this time. Certainly, 3rd party solutions exist to essentially accomplish almost the same thing.

    Good to know there are other solutions folks are willing to use.

    Thanks!


    No worries Fred, I knew what you meant. I was only doing a little FYI for you (and anyone else in the forum) since the subject came up. The user will still need a 1/8" TRS to 1/4" TRS cable to connect the Airport Express to the TouchMix (which is relevant to this thread) and is a possible solution (third party or otherwise) for wireless streaming of music to the TouchMix (also relevant to this thread).

    This is a GREAT mixer and I applaud you, Chris, Brad, Jason and everyone at QSC for an excellent job of supporting it! Keep up the good work!

    Steph
    Steph
    The high rail
     
    Posts: 121
    Joined: Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:55 am

Sun Jun 28, 2015 2:14 pm

  • I've been struggling to get my AirPort Express to stream music nicely. Getting dropouts, even with the iPad (3rd gen) next to the router.

    So, I've been using a different router provided by my ISP (Sky), and connected the iPad, TM16 and a laptop to the WiFi. Then 3.5mm jack cable from laptop to mixing desk. Open iTunes and use the Remote app on the iPad. With this, it doesn't matter if your iPad WiFi drops out, since the laptop is the thing playing the music. I also get my entire music library available to play, instead of a cut-down playlist on my iPad.

    I'll tinker with the AirPort some more, see if I can get it working.

    Chris
    chris661
    The high rail
     
    Posts: 132
    Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:37 am
    Location: Sheffield, UK

Mon Jun 29, 2015 11:25 am

  • Chris, are you locked into 2.4GHz on the Airport? 5GHz has a surprisingly short range.
    dlovrien
    Rookie
     
    Posts: 23
    Joined: Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:13 pm

Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:19 pm

  • chris661 wrote:I've been struggling to get my AirPort Express to stream music nicely. Getting dropouts, even with the iPad (3rd gen) next to the router.

    So, I've been using a different router provided by my ISP (Sky), and connected the iPad, TM16 and a laptop to the WiFi. Then 3.5mm jack cable from laptop to mixing desk. Open iTunes and use the Remote app on the iPad. With this, it doesn't matter if your iPad WiFi drops out, since the laptop is the thing playing the music. I also get my entire music library available to play, instead of a cut-down playlist on my iPad.

    I'll tinker with the AirPort some more, see if I can get it working.

    Chris


    Chris,

    if you don't have any obstacles (solid walls, etc.), 5GHz has an APPROXIMATE (worst case) range of 50 meters, so if you are using your iPad on stage with your TouchMix, the range should not be an issue. One of the big advantages of 5GHz is that it is typically less crowded than 2.4GHz and less possibilities for interference from other devices. You can download a WiFi analyzer onto you iPad or iPhone to check and see just how crowded the 2.4GHz versus 5GHz frequencies are at your gig. I am interested in this solution for streaming music to the TouchMix, so I might just bite the bullet and pick one up to test it...

    Keep us posted!

    Steph
    Steph
    The high rail
     
    Posts: 121
    Joined: Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:55 am

Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:38 pm

  • Steph wrote:
    chris661 wrote:I've been struggling to get my AirPort Express to stream music nicely. Getting dropouts, even with the iPad (3rd gen) next to the router.

    So, I've been using a different router provided by my ISP (Sky), and connected the iPad, TM16 and a laptop to the WiFi. Then 3.5mm jack cable from laptop to mixing desk. Open iTunes and use the Remote app on the iPad. With this, it doesn't matter if your iPad WiFi drops out, since the laptop is the thing playing the music. I also get my entire music library available to play, instead of a cut-down playlist on my iPad.

    I'll tinker with the AirPort some more, see if I can get it working.

    Chris


    Chris,

    if you don't have any obstacles (solid walls, etc.), 5GHz has an APPROXIMATE (worst case) range of 50 meters, so if you are using your iPad on stage with your TouchMix, the range should not be an issue. One of the big advantages of 5GHz is that it is typically less crowded than 2.4GHz and less possibilities for interference from other devices. You can download a WiFi analyzer onto you iPad or iPhone to check and see just how crowded the 2.4GHz versus 5GHz frequencies are at your gig. I am interested in this solution for streaming music to the TouchMix, so I might just bite the bullet and pick one up to test it...

    Keep us posted!

    Steph


    BTW - I found a pretty interesting write up on line (published at the end of last year that explains the differences between 2.4GHz and 5GHz. Here is a section of the article I found the most interesting:

    "Interference (what messes up your experience):

    The 2.4GHz band encounters more interference than the 5GHz signal because of two things:

    The main issue is that there are many wireless devices running on 2.4 GHz , such as cordless phones, Bluetooth, baby monitors, radio controlled toys, amateur radio, microwaves, etc., and lots and lots of existing wireless networks that might be near yours, such as your neighbors or people in your apartment complex. Far fewer devices and networks currently use 5GHz.


    In addition, the 2.4GHz band has only 3 non-overlapping channels (channels 1, 6, & 11) for these various devices to operate on, compared to the 23 channels of the 5GHz band. Having more channels makes it easier to find a channel that is not used by anyone else in your area.

    Range (how far your data travels):

    Many external influences affect the range of a wireless network, making it impossible to predict what range you will achieve in your location. Certain materials in walls, tiles, and pipework can dramatically impact your effective streaming range.

    Higher frequency (5GHz) radio waves lose more of their energy passing through walls, air etc. than lower frequency (2.4GHz) waves. Since the transmissions are being sent with essentially the same power from the source, 2.4GHz wireless networks will usually have a greater range than 5GHz networks.

    Range for both bands can be greatly increased by the use of specialized "high-gain" directional antennas. Some high-end, top-of-the-line routers come with these already, and if you are interested in extending the range of your wireless network for all of your wi-fi activities, it could be worth looking into a router upgrade.

    Speed (how quickly your data moves):

    The major difference between 2.4GHz and 5GHz is the speed of data transmission, which you may have also heard described as "bandwidth". Higher radio frequencies allow faster data transmission, so 5GHz allows much faster network connections than 2.4GHz. If you want to use high-bandwidth applications, like streaming video, over your wireless network, 5GHz is by far the better choice.

    So basically:

    If network speed is your top priority, 5GHz is a better choice than 2.4Ghz.

    If wireless range is your top priority, 2.4GHz is usually a better choice than 5GHz.

    If your local area has a lot of existing Wi-Fi devices causing interference on the 2.4GHz band, using 5GHz is a good solution."

    Steph
    Steph
    The high rail
     
    Posts: 121
    Joined: Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:55 am

Wed Jul 01, 2015 3:32 pm

  • Hi chaps,

    I've just moved house after finishing University, so won't be able to play with this for a little while while I unpack everything.

    I *think* I was using just the 2.4GHz band. It sounds like the 5GHz band might be required to shove enough data down to stream music properly, but if that limits my range I'd rather use my laptop and Remote app solution. I like being able to walk around with the iPad during a gig, and music dropping in/out sounds awful.

    A little netbook (remember those?) with iTunes open, perhaps running a VPN, would probably work nicely.

    Chris
    chris661
    The high rail
     
    Posts: 132
    Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:37 am
    Location: Sheffield, UK



Return to TouchMix General Discussion




Information
  • Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests
cron